History and Function
The Women’s Art Studio of Montreal is a group of artists who evolved from active members of the Women’s Art Society of Montreal. Many years prior, WASM had established a studio group where the environment provided opportunities for an exchange of ideas and techniques. In 1998 the studio group decided to become independent of WASM. We are currently a group of 40 professional and non-professional artists, many of whom hold Bachelor of Fine Arts and Masters degrees, and some are professional art teachers.
Meetings and Activities
We currently meet at the Unitarian Church, (5035 de Maisonneuve West) where the meeting hall is large enough for all our members with easels and tables. Our meeting dates are listed in the Programs page of this website when we occupy the space from 9:00AM to 1:00PM. Some members also lunch together on those dates.
- We invite 4 – 6 professional artists each year to conduct workshops on various aspects of art.
- Occasionally, models are engaged.
- We have a few member days, when one of us shares a particular expertise.
- We host 2 critique sessions annually, (winter and spring) when members can show completed or in-progress works to be reviewed by an invited professional artist or by our members.
- A Pot-luck luncheon follows these sessions
- The W.A.S. holds an annual exhibition and sale of works.
- A professional artist is invited to select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prize winners as well as 3 Honorable Mention awards.
- Modest cash prizes are awarded to the first three prize winners.